49% annual increase in hours spent learning technical skills as per 2023 Workplace Learning Trends Report
According to a press release, Udemy , a leading destination for learning and teaching online, today released the “2023 Workplace Learning Trends Report.” This annual study identifies the top three trends essential for organizations building a learning culture, as well as the most in-demand business, technical and personal skills leveraged by learners on Udemy’s enterprise learning solution, Udemy Business.
“Business leaders play an essential role in helping their employees build the skills they need to improve current business operations while also maintaining a company’s competitiveness in the job market,” said Melissa Daimler, Chief Learning Officer at Udemy. “However, to become a true learning organization, companies must do more than simply offer training programs. Leading learning organizations also clearly communicate with employees about the purpose for learning and outcomes they hope to achieve.”
The report identifies three essential learning trends that can help organizations attract and retain top talent:
- Promoting continuous learning and aligning the learning strategy with the organization’s culture can help improve employee engagement and combat quiet quitting.
- Remaining agile by enabling employees to learn in the flow of work will help ensure readiness as the pace of innovation continues to accelerate.
- Implementing a varied strategy for learning delivery will help take entire organizations and every learner into account.
This year’s report also highlights top skills in demand across employee learning activity areas which include business, technical and personal skills. In fact, 2022 saw a 49% annual increase in time spent learning technical skills.
For top-consumed technical skills, cloud computing skills remain a primary area of focus with topics related to Amazon Web Services (AWS) claiming four of the top 10 most-consumed skills. Data analysis and security skills also ranked high in this category.
- Databricks (increased 2161%)
- System design interview (increased 1012%)
- 5G (increased 643%)
The most commonly consumed business skills fell within the categories of communication and leadership, with significant growth among the following courses:
- Customer experience management (increased 449%)
- Nonverbal communication (increased 268%)
- Business communication (increased 211%)
In the personal skills category, employees are setting themselves up for global leadership and workplace resilience. Many of the top personal growth skills reflect employees’ desire to manage stressors better, including the burnout which so many are feeling, and include:
- Consciousness (increased 825%)
- Job search (increased 495%)
- Self-esteem (increased 105%)
To read the full report, click here.
Udemy analyzed data from thousands of Udemy Business learners globally, including total consumption across all course topics from July 1, 2021 to July 1, 2022, as well as how it compared to the previous year’s findings (July 1, 2020 to July 1, 2021).